January 15, 2016

Just another Friday Morning

As I sit here this morning reflecting on this past week, I find myself to be in a much better mood even though it is 4 am.  This past week of chemo was yet again a different experience.  Monday was infusion day, the doctors added more pre-medications and infusion took an extra hour.  No big deal.  It gave me time to watch a movie and meet a couple more people.  My Wife and Mother came with me.  They got bored so I sent them on a mission.  Earlier that morning they had mentioned that they would like to find a second hand store and do some browsing.  So I programmed the GPS for a really expensive joint.  Long story short they had a good laugh and did actually find a couple of places to browse.  They didn’t buy anything, but they at least weren’t bored.
That brings up something I’ve been meaning to ask you folks.  When a person is in the Hospital (or in my case “Infusion”) does the people that go with them have to stay with them?  What are your thoughts?  Mine is this; if the person that came with me to Infusion gets bored then go find something to do.  All I am doing is sitting there getting medications pumped into my body.  Yes, I have gotten sick while getting the infusion, but that was an experience that I shared with the porcelain god alone…LOL.  I normally just sit there with a tablet, or watch TV.  Now a friend of mine told me (I’m not going to mention any name here so don’t ask) that if someone went to the infusion room with me then they are obligated to stay during the process.  At first I would have agreed.  Having gone through it, I started feeling different about it after the third hour.  Don’t get me wrong.  I love the support I have been receiving from my family and friends.  Having someone constantly around feels kinda weird.  Kinda like they are waiting for something bad to happen so that they can respond or something like that.  I love the company, but I don’t like feeling like they owe it to me to stick around just because I’m sick.  So for those of you that do decide to come with me in the future, please bring an activity or a GPS for me to mess with and send you on a wild goose chase.  Let’s make a fun day out of a boring one, OK!
Enough of that!  This past week has been a rather slow one.  It wasn’t as painful as the one before.  Yesterday was a serious hangover kinda day.  I’m reminded during those days why I gave up drinking and drugs.  The hangovers suck!  Now I feel like a rut is coming that I’m about to get stuck in.  Every other week I have an Infusion.  Two days later the chemo bag comes off.  Thursday’s have been my worst days (so far), and Fridays usually start off pretty good.  So far so good right?  As long as this is the pattern, then I’m OK with this kind of rut.  So far the time I have to spend at home has been rather dull.  I don’t get into the stuff I use to enjoy!  This my friends is what I have come to call “The Sickness!”  Here’s why; when you enjoy something so much after a long day’s work and you find the time to do it, It’s fun.  When you are stuck at home and have all the time in the world to do the same thing you (at least I do) start to think about the other stuff you could be doing and no longer look enjoy it.  Does that make sense to you?  To me, that feeling of not enjoying something and the constant physical pains included is truly a sickness.  You could go mad!  Which in my case might not be a bad idea, since I am working on some stories.  Now don’t worry your pretty minds too much.  I’m a thinker (now a days) and not so much of a doer.  So those nasty ideas of pain and discomfort (only way I know to explain it) fall into the category of “That would be good in a story”.  “Hawthorne’s Bend”, and “Abaddon” are still in the process of final revisions and will hopefully be published this year.  The good Lord knows that I have the time to finish them, but “The Sickness” has set in and I have found that concentrating on them is rather difficult to do.  Now I have started work on two (yes two) other stories.  One I’m sure will be a novel, and the other…well let’s just say it’s a part two so far.  The one that I believe will be a novel, is one that will be the odd one out.  It is not a scary story or a thriller.  So far it’s a drama, a life story if you will.  “Reflections” has been a story that I’ve been working on for years (as most of them are) and I decided that now would be as good of a time as any to start working on it.  This story follows a family through a crisis and tells their story through memories and storytelling.  It will mirror my own life to some extent, but it is in all intent and purposes a fictional story.  Those of you close to me may see a familiarity in some of it, just keep in mind that I am using my own experiences in life to tell a story that I believe will be a good enough story to bring a tear to your eye.  The other story; well that one is for my Wife.  I promised her a thriller and now have a very good plot for her to work through.  It doesn’t have a title as of yet, but it is one I’m sure she will enjoy (I’m falling down on my knees and raising my hands up screaming please!).  It’s a good guy vs. bad guy story.
OK, so back to this past week.  The overall trip to Salt Lake City was a good one.  We went and saw the movie “The Revenant”.  It was a good one.  Kind of long.  I do recommend that movie to my Father.  He would enjoy it.  The bear scene was very cool.  The cinema photography is very good.  The supporting actor did a very good job as well.  Tom Hardy does a very good job of making you believe his character.  Oh my…I forgot his name, (I’ll never let go Jack) oh yeah Leonardo DiCaprio!  LOL.  Leonardo did pretty good too.  I’m not sure about the Oscars, but he was very good in it.  Go see this movie if you haven’t.  OH YEAH!  Go see SW: The Force Awakens if you haven’t done so yet (shame on you) …LOL. My Mother took us out to dinner and we had a good time there too.  The roads this time were very good.  We left Monday after my Infusion, and I believe I slept most of the way home.  Having my Mother go with us this time I think was a good idea.  She was curious about the whole thing and I believe it put her mind at ease a little.  She got to see how the Doctors handled things and how the Infusion thing goes.  She told me that she believes that I am in good hands, and I agree.  My wife as usual is the brick to the foundation during all of this.  She is a trooper I’ll give her that.  All the driving, the worrying, and being constantly on the move has got to be tiresome.  She still plugs away though.  My family has offered to give her a break, but she kindly declines and tells me that she would rather spend the time with me.  We have talked about this and I will leave it to her discretion on when she needs a break or not.  So for of you that are offering to give her a break, just keep in mind she is going to keep plugging away until she can’t go anymore.  She will accept the help when she is ready for it.  All I ask is that no one makes her feel like a fifth wheel, if you know what I mean.  She has been there for me from the beginning and I have no intention of ever shutting her out.  She is my ROCK!!!

Maybe this post makes sense, maybe it doesn’t.  I’ll leave that up to you to decide.  If you have any comments, please leave them below here.  You are more than welcome to share these posts on FACEBOOK or Google+.  If you need to talk to me privately you can email me at either 307kurth@gmail.com or at kurthx74@hotmail.com or on FACEBOOK or Twitter.  Just type my name in the last two and you should be able to find me.  I am always open to new ideas or suggestions.  Yes, I will try just about anything as long as I think it will help.  If I don’t use your advice, please don’t take it personally.

No comments: