January 21, 2016

About not working

So now it’s official.  I am unemployed.  I never thought that I would enter this category, in the method that I did.  I thought maybe due to the fall in oil prices, or maybe an injury.  I never thought it would be because I became a liability, or the pain would be too severe, or the cold would get to me, or the amount of time I have to spend at home hooked up to a bag of chemicals, and worst of all, that I just couldn’t do the work.  If I had anything to bitch about having cancer, it would be not working.  I know that this is a period in my life that I must go through.  I don’t like it, but I will complete this task with a heavy heart and optimism.  It is just another wrench thrown into the works.
I have begun to think about all of the things that I could do, with the time that I will have.  Writing my books is just one of them.  Keeping a clean house is one.  Building a cool porch this spring is one that I would like to accomplish.  Getting our camper ready for camping is another.  Finishing our yard would be great.  I even want to make a doll.  Hold the phone!  Yes, I did say make a doll.  I want to make a travel bug that will travel with us and take pictures of it when we find cool caches.  I have this idea for a doll that I think would be very cool; a doll about ten to twelve inches in height, dressed in an adventurer clothing, a porcelain face and hands, two ribbons on an arm (one light blue and one peach – each one representing the types of cancer my wife and I have), and a leather strap across his chest that has our geocaching name on it.  I also want to work on our geocaching caches, old ones and new ones.  I have a friend in the geocaching community that has some cool ideas for caches.  I think between the two of us we could make some pretty cool ones.  There is one that I would like to make that requires people to walk inside of to sign the log book, and possibly trade some travel bugs.  I have a jeweler kit and a leather works kit that I would like to dive into.
My wife is worried that I will get depressed while being stuck at home.  I’ve tried to tell her that I wouldn’t, but she is convinced that I am too use to working and that staying at home will drive into a depression that I won’t easily recover from.  I can see where she gets the idea from.  We took a vacation in 2014, and by the time we got home I was dying to go to work.  I love working!  Something I wish more people loved to do.  I know that this will get difficult at times.  It already has.  So far since I started chemo, I have to stay home for two days.  In those two days I get so bored it’s pathetic.  I have to go without work for a while.  How long?  I don’t know the answer to that question.  Hopefully I will get an answer in a few weeks.  I know the day will come that I will be able to return to the working class.  I plan on getting into shape before that day arrives.
What makes this hard is; I want to work, but my body says no!  I don’t want people to think that I was forced into not working by my boss.  He didn’t force me into shit.  As a matter of fact, he is one of my biggest supporters with this cancer.  He let me work, when he knew that it wasn’t a good idea for me to be out in the cold weather.  I have a ton of respect for the man.  I have literally seen him give the shirt off of his back to an employee that needed an FRC shirt to work in.  So let’s get the record straight here.  Cancer has forced me into not working and nothing else.  If I didn’t have cancer, my ass would be in bed right now so I would be ready for work the next day.
Anyways, back to the things I could do…
One novel is a creature feature (if you will).  That novel is titled “Hawthorne’s Bend” and should be completed later this year.  The other novel is a haunted house story, it’s title is “Abaddon” and it should be ready by Halloween.  Both books will first be released in E-Book format.  Hard copies will be released after that, and that is if they do well electronically.  Both books are in the final revision stages and before you ask, NO, no one is allowed to read them just yet.  I will tell you this about the books; My mother wouldn’t read them.  Too scary.  Both books have some not so nice moments in them.  I am however working on a book that my mother could read.  I have mentioned it before.  That story is about a family and the tragedy that they go through, it’s titled “Reflections” and it will be a year or two before it will come out.  I have several short stories that will be released this year as well.  Keep in mind that all of these stories, are stories that I have been working on for a very long time.  Some have been with me since high school, while some have been as recent as a month ago.  I’m always thinking about these stories and constantly coming up with new ones.  So with that being said, stay tuned, I even have an idea for this blog.  I will release a short story in this blog.  This blog will have some different pages to it and one of them will be dedicated to the story.  What that story is about, well I’ll say this; Metallica songs will be referenced a lot, the world has changed for the worst, a creature will hunt and kill, a man will be forced to do something he fears, and hopefully the reader will be engulfed within the story.  Like I said, it will come out in future posts as a series.  I’m not sure about a title as of yet.  Maybe I will make a trailer to it and have (YOU) vote on a title, maybe.
When I begin to work on the porch, I may need some help.  So if you have nothing better to do, I may ask for some help.  The yard work is something I can do on my own.  I’ve had some cool plans for the barren waste land we have for a yard.  I have a new GoPro camera and some ideas on what I want to do with it, so when I finish those videos you might want to check out my YouTube page.  I don’t have anything on it now, but I will one day.

I am also open to new ideas.  So if you have something in mind that you think I would enjoy or something that I should do, or just want to go fishing or geocaching with me just let me know.  I suppose that’s all I want to say for now.  So my friends, have a wonderful weekend and please be safe out there.

No comments: