January 13, 2016

Geocaching and Cancer

One of our favorite things to do is a little game called “Geocaching”.  My wife and I started caching almost three years ago.  We have found 292 caches so far.  We have hidden over 50 of them.  What the game is all about is adventure.  Someone places an item called a “Cache” somewhere out in the world.  The object of the game is to get the coordinates to the cache and then go find it.  Using a GPS or a smart phone with the app is the easiest way to play.  Once you find it, you sign a log sheet and trade an item (if the cache is big enough to have items in it) or drop off these things called “Travel Bugs”.  There are over 2 million caches out in the world.  There are many different elements to the game.  Some caches are events or puzzles, virtual tours, etc. 
Since my diagnoses day, we haven’t found many caches.  As a matter of fact, we have found five.  I have decided that as long as my health is good, my goal is to reach a total of 500 caches found by the end of the year.  We only have 208 to go.  Now going outside and searching for these caches may get a bit tricky with it being cold outside right now.  I realize that I might just have to put it off for a while.  Well the searching outside part at least.  I can go do some research on the different caches that are out there during the cold days and then go find them when its warmer.  Our current trip to Salt Lake City has given me the opportunity to plan out some caches.  Today (after we checked into our hotel) we took my Mother out for an adventure and searched for a cache.  We found one in a visitor center in downtown.  The cache itself wasn’t too hard to find.  It was out in the open for all to see.  We introduced my Mom to a new aspect of the game, “Puzzles”.  We traded seven travel bugs for two.  The seven we dropped off were mostly new ones that I made (5 of them) and two were ones that I had picked up in one of my caches out in Lysite, WY.
Since having cancer doesn’t mean (at least for me) that I am condemned to no fun.  I am using this game as a means to get out of the house and do something fun.  I get all bundled up and take off.  Now most of the adventure is done via our “MV” (minivan for those who have forgotten) and I don’t have to walk everywhere.  Yet I do get some exercise in.  When I get ready to go out and hunt caches, I get excited and start to feel good.  You know, kinda like when you feel like shit and then after moving around you feel better!  It’s like that. 

If you are looking for an activity to do with a friend or with your family, may I suggest that you look into geocaching.  Go to (www.geocaching.com) for all the information on how to get started.  The membership is free.  There is a subscription option.  It costs $39 for a year.  With that you get access to premium caches and some tools like pocket queries, notifications and much more.  Now you do not need to buy the premium membership to enjoy this game.  You still get access to over 2 million caches and events.  You get your own profile page when you sign up.  One of the fun things about this game is sharing your experiences finding caches with others.  If you do sign up and need some help getting started just let me know.  I would be happy to help.

No comments: