December 17, 2015

1st Chemotherapy treatment

OK if you have been following me on Facebook, then you would know about the storm we encountered. If not then no worries, here is a brief description of what happened. We woke up Monday morning to almost a foot of snow. A drive that normally takes minutes, took almost 3 hours. Over 200 accidents that morning in the area. My wife drove or minivan with skill. Proud of her for that.

The first time in the chair for the chemo treatment, had me a bit nervous about the whole thing. I now know that it kinda sucks but overall it is very doable. It only took five and a half hours in the chair, which some of it I snoozed through, for the chemo. I was then hooked up to a pump for the rest of it. That would take fourty-six more hours.

We stayed the night in SLC, due to the snow. Tuesday morning was our best chance to leave. The weather was calling for more snow that night and within the following days. The drive home, with only fuel up stops and two short visits to family, took over twelve hours. The roads looked worse than I felt. So it was off to the races at an average speed of fourty-five mph!

As I sit here this morning reflecting on the days past, I find myself both humbled and joyful. Not for the cancer or chemo, but rather the life that I have lived so far. I have done many things, as I'm sure you have done too. Now I must slow down and take the time to heal. A task that will be very hard to do at times. I have began to call this period in my life, "limited edition of Kurth".  Today has been a rather troublesome day so far and it's not even eight am. I do know this (skip if you get easily disturbed), that spewing up java doesn't smell that bad! I have a feeling that this could get worse in the next few days, but I am confident that I will survive it.

No comments: